Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2013

Creamy Balsamic Dressing (soy free)

This started out to be Italian dressing, from a recipe gleaned from the internet.  Not what I had in mind at all! What I wanted was a soy free, delicious dressing to eat on the salad I signed up to bring at the church potluck supper, which was in 10 minutes. This was soy free, but the delicious part was glaringly absent. So, I found my bottle of Brianna's Creamy Balsamic Dressing and started adding ingredients I saw on that label. Being in a hurry, I did not carefully measure some of the ingredients. I also ran out of time, so ended up bringing Brianna's and finishing this dressing when I got home. Surprisingly, the dressing ended up tasting pretty good. The recipe is only in its first stages, and may deserve tweaking here and there (like in the amount of xanthan gum! I used way too much), but here it is:

1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar (I'm really not sure how much I used-it may have been less, but more balsamic is usually good)
1 t. garlic, minced (I used the bottled kind. Fresh is always nicer, though)
3/4 t. parsley flakes
1/2 t. celery salt
1/2 t. Italian seasoning
1/4 t. onion powder
Juice of 1 lemon (this may be optional)
1 t. spicy brown (or dijon) mustard
2 T. honey (I really like the honey in this. More may be better, but start with this.)
1 T. or so sugar mixed with
1/2 t. xanthan gum (I used more than this, I think. It turned very thick and had to be thinned with water. Then it was fine.)
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, the kind in a jar
pepper to taste
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together, being sure to mix the xanthan gum into the sugar before adding it to the dressing, so it won't lump. Let sit till thickened, maybe 20-30 minutes, then blend with an immersion blender till creamy looking and well blended. Taste and adjust seasonings. I mixed this up in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. It made the full 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment